Monday, March 10, 2008

Creative Type Seeks Same

My post about David Netto had me pondering relationships. The Vogue article pronounced that opposites really did attract but in the case of David and Ione, I think we could all see that it would never last. They were much too different and David finally married a woman he knew from his childhood days. But it got me thinking about how creative types usually end up with other creative types. I could never be with someone who didn't have a deep interest in art and design like a doctor or a lawyer. Not just because I wouldn't have an interest in their work but I'm sure they could care less about the latest issue of Domino or my blog. So let's take a look at some creative types who did get together with great success and some I'd like to get together with. It's Monday people. Let's have some fun!

The couple above is Derrick Miller and Jennifer Vaughn. Derrick is the Creative Director for Barker Black, a 125-year old English shoe company that he is credited with reviving. Their shoes are so fantastic that they sometimes make me wish I were a man! The shop on Elizabeth Street is a kin to a gentleman's club. Jennifer meanwhile is an interior designer and helped to decorate their apartment that was featured in Domino magazine. A match made in heaven if I ever saw one!

Rufus and Sally Albemarle are a striking couple who also share a love of the arts. Rufus came to New York in the late 1990s, as an industrial designer but now he has a company Albemarle of London that makes "fine shirts for gents" and can often be seen out and about at parties. Sally Tadayon Albemarle is a sculptor but has been living in England with their son for a while. Rufus commutes back and forth to see them. They were married in a big international wedding in Havana, which was covered by Vanity Fair. They seem like a true renaissance couple.

One of my favorite design firm, Roman and Williams, is run by one ridiculously creative couple, Robin Standefer and Stephen Alesch. They met while working on set designs for movies and finally decided to open their own firm after they were tired of seeing all their hard work at the end of a movie shoot. They just finished the redesign of the Royalton Hotel lobby and are also working on a line of furniture. I love their vintage yet modern aesthetic.

Now let's take a look at some creative types who haven't yet paired up, or at least not that I know of. First on the list is my ultimate crush, Taavo Somer. He is co-owner of my favorite restaurant in the city, Freemans, with it's rough hewn look and taxidermy animals, it's a cozy retreat. And the food is fabulous! Next door is his other venture, Freeman's Sporting Club below, which carries handmade clothing, vintage accessories and the pièce de resistence, an old fashioned barbershop in the back. Taavo actually trained to be an architect which just adds to the appeal. As someone who's tired of stark white modern boxes, Taavo's style is a breath of fresh air.


Next up is my newest crush, Tee Faircloth who bought F.M. Allen a few years ago. “I wanted to buy an old African company,” said the 36-year-old former bond trader. “I kept coming back to Frank Murray Allen, who was the last of the gentleman hunters. Bunny was a nickname. Bror Blixen and Denys Finch Hatton got him started. In 1927, he was second gun for them on the royal safari of the Prince of Wales.” I think we all dream of buying a safari company but how many people actually get to do it?! Tee is updating the company which not only arranges luxury safari vacations but can outfit you for the trip and your home when you get back from their collection of antiques and furniture. Where do I sign up?!


My last crush is Ben Schott, but only when he's wearing his dark rimmed glasses. Ben is the man behind the Schott's Miscellany Empire, which now includes the Original Miscellany book, Almanacs, Food and Drink Miscellany and Gaming and Idling Miscellany. Ben is the quintessential self-deprecating Englishman with a lovely posh accent, floppy Hugh Grant hair, and a vintage Mercedes, which would be enough for most people but he is also frighteningly intelligent and interesting. He typesets all of his books and is an accomplished professional photographer and journalist. And to think it all started with a Christmas card. Gotta love it.

If anyone else has any interesting creative types that they would like me to add to the list, I'm currently taking nominations. I'm sure there has to be some more Renaissance type men around somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment