Monday, October 15, 2007

Let's Buy Art!

I stopped by the Domino Bazaar on Saturday and I have to say that I was underwhelmed. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I didn't find anything I wanted to buy and it was set up so that you kept running into people even though it wasn't that crowded.

There was one high point of the Bazaar however, the Art Gallery! I mentioned in an earlier post that I recently met Scott Drovnig, a fundraiser for ACRIA (AIDS Community Research Initiative of America) so I made it a point to stop by and I'm so glad I did! Many famous and emerging artists donated unframed works of art to be sold at a great price to benefit ACRIA and the selection was amazing! I had trouble deciding what to buy and I must thank Scott for being so patient and helpful while I made my selection. I finally settled on a great little Stephen Ellis piece. But I'm still thinking about another print that I didn't buy! I may have to see if it's still available!

The funny thing is that after I made my purchase Saturday, I noticed a great post on Decorno about women who collect art that she saw in the New York Times Magazine. She also made the point that maybe we should save some of the money we buy on shoes and spend it on art instead. Great idea! I have a small buy growing collection and you really don't have to spend a lot to buy great art. I found a few great piece on eBay and at charity events. The best rule of thumb is to buy what you like!

And the good news for you is that some of the art that didn't sell during the Domino Bazaar is available from ACRIA Store online and much of it is in the $100 - 500 range with only a few piece in the $1000 range! They might have a few of the Ross Bleckner special edition above for sale but I didn't see it on the website, so you could call them to check.

***UPDATE***
The Bleeding Hearts piece by Ross Bleckner above is now only $750! What a bargain for yourself or for a holiday gift!

All works come unframed but for display during the sale, they had a selection framed by City Frames in Chelsea so you could take your art to them for framing. They even have on file how each piece was framed for ACRIA so if you live in New York, you could drop it off and ask them to frame it in the same manner. Below is a sampling of what I saw online in case you want to buy some art instead of shoes this week!


Ross Bleckner, Color Field
C-print on Hahnemuhle paper, 12” x 18”, edition: 25, signed, numbered, dated on verso
$1500



Barbara Takenga, Takenaga1 Blue Paisley (section), 2007
Digital print with archival ink on archival paperImage size: 8 x 6
Paper size 13 x 9.5 inchesEdition of 15,Unframed
$350


Jay Zuckerkorn, Zukerkorn1
Gelatin silver photographs, 8" x 10", edition: 25
(There are 3 photographs in this series. Buy all 3 for $300!)
$100

No comments:

Post a Comment